Tuesday, August 31, 2010

patient confidentiality

The staff at my gyn's office definitely needs to take a lesson on patient confidentiality and how it can be violated "accidentally". Once my vitals were taken I was placed in a room where there was a computer with a patient's medical records still in plain view. Not only did I know the patient, she was my beautician. As I sat down I saw the patient was placed on an antibiotic due to testing positive for a STD. As I looked away I saw the patient's name and date of birth and instantly knew who she was. The thing that came to mind was how could one of these healthcare professionals be so negligent? Then I wondered if my medical records have ever been available "accidentally" where another patient could possibly view them. This reminded me of all those lessons in Medical Law and Bioethics on patient confidentiality and what we as healthcare professionals can do to prevent these "accidents". Me knowing what I do about patient confidentiality would never mention to my beautician that I was able to she her PHI, but I sure will let the office staff know what I saw and what they as professionals need to do. Let's all remember to protect our patients at all times and in all places.

No comments:

Post a Comment